Re: Disappointment about the appearance of our CLT booth

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 18:57:13 +0100

Am 21.03.2009 um 17:25 schrieb Meike Reichle:

> Hi all
>
> Michael Mohn said/sagte on/am 21.03.2009 15:34:
>
>> i don't now anything on how you organize those fairs and what budget
>> there is and so on.. i know there will probably be nothing leftover
>> for
>> a nice impression.
>> on the other hand: when you can't do it right, maybe save the pennies
>> for appearance on fewer shows and do it nice there?
>
> I don't think the problem is that we don't *know* how to do a proper
> booth. Everybody who was at the CLT for Debian has been doing these
> kinds
> of events for a couple years already.

which does obviously not hinder anybody to mess it up.

> In my opinion the problem is more that keeping up a good booth
> requires
> some discipline, both in the preparation and (probably even more) the
> actual event. As Julien said, refraining from your laptop or from
> having
> long talks with your friends instead of the users is not what we
> usually
> do and thus requires some kind of conscious and constant effort.

that's the point. you're right.
but the layout of the booth does a lot to change the attitude of the
visitor and even of the booths personal. when everything looks nice
and tidy, and there is always a spokesperson availible, the whole mood
in the booth changes and probably every one picks that up a lot
easier, as if there are tables an laptops everywhere and it seems just
like a geek-chillout.

> As I see it we've in recent times become somewhat lax in this regard.
> We all know perfectly well what a good booth should be like and
> there's
> plenty places to read up on that kind of stuff. So maybe we should
> just
> all pull ourselves together once more and put some more effort in our
> exhibition presences like we used to do and thus avoid such glitches
> in
> the future. We certainly owe it to our users and the people
> providing us
> with the opportunities to show off our project at their events.

i like that.
if i can help. tell me. ;)

bye,

Michael.