Re: Fosdem 2008 Videoteam

From: David Noble <dave_at_davenoble.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 01:10:08 +0000

Hi,

> FOSDEM is set up pretty much adhoc and, at least for me, is also a lot (or
> maybe mostly even) about meeting old friends and meeting new people and
> exchanging ideas, news and beers, so I'm not only not to fond of a _too_
> sophisticated setup, but I also dont think it will work (well). Basically too
> few (or less than said the day before) people show up early in the morning to
> set things up. (And, as basically always, I'd be happy to see my sceptism
> proved wrong.)

I'd hope so too. I will be in Norway from mid-January onwards, so
perhaps with the help of hermanr, we could get the setup and teardown
times down to something very minimal. Starting recording on a three
camera setup could be as simple as attatching the cameras to tripods,
plugging them into three boxes/laptops and running three commands on one
of them, so a 15 minute rig time is definitely something I think would
be feasible.

> > I understand this is very premature, but I think it would be beneficial
> > if all this is well organised, so the production goes as smoothly as
> > possible.
>
> I fully agree with this. But, I believe one key is to keep it simple. One
> (operated) camera, no streaming. We definitly should try to improve the audio
> situation, but I dont think its worth/easy/manageble to get much better video
> within the constraints of FOSDEM...

Audio should be sorted; all things being equal, I should be able to
bring a small mixer, a couple mics and stands which should be a vast
improvement over a microphone strapped to a camera!

As for multiple cameras, this is the biggest picture improvement we can
get at FOSDEM; even if the other two are static, being able to see
clearly what is on the projector would be of great advantage; (although
this is best done with some form of sync converter and hard DV codec).
Being able to see the audience without the huge pan would be useful too.

As for streaming, I agree, it guess it is wishful thinking on my behalf.
Although it would be cool... :-)

> I'm even unsure if a second (still) camera for the slides and a computer
> running dvswitch is sensible. Last years, we had enough troubles setting up
> one camera in time in the morning. If we manage this again plus setting up
> better audio equiqment, IIll already be very happy. I fear, that if we want to
> add another computer and another camera, we wont make it in time in the
> morning, or those who dont oversleep have a very stressful time in Brussels.

Perhaps it's an idea to have two or three "responsible people"
guaranteed to wake up in time to get to FOSDEM before talks. If we can
have a 30 minute margin from when the doors open to the first talk
starting, I am sure that it is entirely feasible to have a multi-camera
setup. Again, these difficulties can be to a large degree be smoothed
out by planning in advance.

All the best,

Dave