Re: FOSDEM 2007 -- sharing a Devroom?

From: Wouter Verhelst <wouter_at_debian.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 00:30:15 +0100

On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 09:52:41AM +0100, Alexander Wirt wrote:
> Wouter Verhelst schrieb am Sonntag, den 29. Oktober 2006:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > The FOSDEM organizers have asked me whether we'd be okay with sharing a
> > Developer's room together with the people from Ubuntu.
> *snip*
>
> > Opinions?
> I don't see any reason for that, in my oppinion ubuntu is not nearer to
> debian than xandros, knoppix or any other derivate. So why share with them
> and not with others?

Most likely because there is no significant xandros or knoppix community
that would ask for a devroom, though obviously I can only guess as to
why.

> Also I don't want to create the impression that debian
> has much to do with ubuntu, which is in fact not the case. Additionally the
> userbase is different. If I decide to do a debian talk I don't want to answer
> ubuntu question, I don't know anything about ubuntu and I don't want to
> (thats not an offense, just a fact, as I don't care for xandros or knoppix).
> Also the debian room was pretty crowded last times,

This is not entirely true; I've spent all the time in the Debian devroom
last year and the year before; and while it is correct that during the
more popular talks the devrooms were indeed crowded, there were also
other moments when there was almost noone. OTOH...

> with the release of etch (hopefully) this will even be much worser
> next time and to have an additional group of users won't help.

...this might be right.

> Hmm thats most of my reasons I tried to leave my personal stuff out of
> that, if somebody is offended I'm sorry.

Why should you be sorry? I did ask for your opinion :)

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22