Re: Flyer Re-print for CeBIT

From: Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org>
Date: Wed Feb 15 2006 - 15:36:46 CET

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 02:41:52PM +0100, W. Borgert wrote:
> Quoting Martin Zobel-Helas <zobel@ftbfs.de>:
> > as most of the German Debian Flyers disapeared with last years CeBIT, we
> > decided to reprint this for CeBIT. For this i took the latest CVS
> > Version. There is one thing i would like to change: I would like to add
> > AMD64 to the list of architectures.
> >
> > At [1] you can find the version we would give to the prining office. If
> > you have any corrections or annotations, please speak up 'til Tuesday
>
> This is not urgent, but we should change the list of software
> packages to reflect non-geek popularity, e.g.:
>
> 1. [net clients] Firefox, Mozilla, Thunderbird, evolution, gpg,
> ssh, chat, file sharing, (VoIP?)
> 2. [office] OOo, gnumeric, Abiword, text editors: Emacs, vim
> 3. [multimedia] GIMP, dia, Inkscape, media players: totem,
> rhythmbox, sound editor: audacity
> 4. [desktop] X11, GNOME, KDE, XFCE4
> 5. [server] Apache, Samba, PostgreSQL, MySQL, telephony: Asterisk
> 6. [development] languages: C, C++, Java, Python, Perl, IDE:
> Anjuta, GUI builders: gazpacho, glade
> 7. [doc tools] TeX, LaTex, Ghostscript, XML, HTML, DocBook
>
> IMHO, seven areas are enough and there is no need to mention PPP
> and other things people expect anyway or don't know at all.

At this point, I think it would be enough to just mention that the
general class of applications is available maybe with the exception of
Firefox and OpenOffice, as they are populer enough among people not
familiar with GNU/Linux already.

So:

1. The GNOME and KDE desktop environments, as well as several other
graphical desktop environments and window managers.

2. Firefox, Thunderbird and several other web browser and email
applications.

3. The OpenOffice, GNOME Office and KDE Office suites.

4. Image, photo, video and audio players and editors, as well as
numerous other graphics and multimedia applications.

5. Instant messaging, internet chat, voice over IP and file sharing
clients and servers.

6. Server suites including Apache, Samba, PostgreSQL, MySQL etc.

7. Developments tools and IDEs for all popular languages including
C/C++, Java, Python, Perl [mention Mono/C#?]

[Dunno about Docbook/LaTeX, GNU/Linux users will expect them anyway?]

Michael