Re: Debian-Day at LinuxTag

From: Thomas Templin <lists@gnuwhv.de>
Date: Sun May 08 2005 - 00:14:23 CEST

On Tuesday 26 April 2005 16:14, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Alexander Schmehl wrote:
> > Well, since this worked that well, let's try to get a step
> > further: How about some kind of conference preceedings?
> > Should we try collect papers /
>
> I guess that's overkill.
>
> > slides / whatever for the talks before LinuxTag, and have some
> > printouts ready?

I always ask myself what the hell is the benefit of offering slides?
In most cases they only have the titles of the chapters a speaker
presented.

From the audience point of view slides are useless.
A visitor of a talk would be interested much more in having a large
text he can study at home afterwards and which will give him
further links to deepen the thema.

If you prepare yourself for a talk it is commonly done to do a test
talk whithaout audience (a stopwatch will do this :)to get a
feeling of time and thema.

So why not use a dictaphone and record the spoken word. Whith this
you should be able to write a long text. I did so in the past
though I only typed the record for my second talk ;-)

> > I don't think it would be a problem to print some of them at my
> > university (as long as you don't write entire books ;)
>
> Leaflets containing the basics may be a good idea.
>
> > Or do you think, that it is sufficient, to have some of the
> > speakers upload their talks and just set links? IIRC that
> > didn't worked very well in the last years.
>
> Yes.

You know about the idea of a dayly LinuxTag gazette? Kurt Pfeiffle
told me about that at CeBIT.

That would be a good chance to place bigger articles not only
slides.

And if there will be no Dayly LinuxTag Gazette it might be an Idea
to offer a Debian Day Booklet for a donation to SPI / Debian?

Bye,
TT

--
Join the Fellowship and protect your freedom! http://www.fsfe.org/