Re: Debian-Day at LinuxTag

From: Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de>
Date: Wed Apr 27 2005 - 09:31:53 CEST

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Alexander Schmehl wrote:

> Speaker: Andreas Tille
> Topic: Custom Debian Distributions
> Comment: Andreas fears, it might become boring, since he covered
> that topic a couple of times already. So, if someone
> comes up with a new idea for a talk, we could drop this
> one in favour of the new one (Andreas, I hope I
> summarized this correctly?)
In principle this is a correct summary. I will definitely not hold the same
talk as I did before. My question is in which direction I should draw the
focus:

   1) Detailed description of existing CDDs.
      (Summarizing talk)
   2) Experiences in working as a leader of a CDD (building a community, relations
      to upstream authors and users, problems)
      (More social talk)
   3) Preview on future techniques which will be used in CDDs (new ways for
      meta package creation, web-tools, debtags, etc.)
      (Technical talk)
   4) A talk I was holding in my institute for an absulutely Free Software newbee
      audience called "Knowledge, power and free beer" which draws a large
      circle around Free Software, software patents, WikiPedia, what are
      Linux Distributions and ends up explaining a CDD in a very simple graphical
      way. The intention of this talk for the Debian Day audience would be
      to enable Debian experts to educate complete newbees about Debian. (The
      colleagues I was asking after the talk were happy with it and one of them
      even installed Debian afterwards. ;-))
      I was asked by other DDs to publish this talk in English so this would
      be a good chance for a translation / further enhancement.
      (Educational talk)

It would be helpful if some people would express their main interest to enable
me to prepare an interesting talk.

> That makes a total of nine talks. So we can easily fill a Debian-Day
> from 9:00 to 18:00 with hourly talks and no lunch break (That would be
> the same as last year).
Last year was fine.

> Dear speakers, please send me an abstract of your talks soon, if
... as soon as I've got enough comments on this mail

> possible include some URLs about material to read further.
In any case:

        http://people.debian.org/~tille/talks/

> Well, since this worked that well, let's try to get a step further: How
> about some kind of conference preceedings?
Good idea.

> Should we try collect papers /
> slides / whatever for the talks before LinuxTag,
Might be good. I do it anyway (see above URL).

> and have some printouts ready?
Experience showed that most people in the room had their laptops with WLAN
connection. So why having a handout if they can read online? IMHO a waste
of resources.

> I don't think it would be a problem to print some of them at my
> university (as long as you don't write entire books ;)
So even if the resources are sheap - we can save them anyway. (IMHO)

> Or do you think, that it is sufficient, to have some of the speakers
> upload their talks and just set links? IIRC that didn't worked very
> well in the last years.
This SHOULD work. IMHO a talk is incomplete if it is not available online.

> So yes, I hearby request the speakers to get their slides / papers /
> whatever ready soon enough for us to print them, and to license their
> talk under a license, which would allow us to distribute them (Note: It
> is a request, not a demand).
Uhmmm, what License would you propose. I'm aware that I'm missing a license
statement for my talks. The reason is that I'm unsure about the right
documentation license ...

Kind regards

          Andreas.

--