Re: Debian-Day talks [Re: Linuxtag in germany...]

From: Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de>
Date: Tue Apr 26 2005 - 13:36:01 CEST

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

> I listened to the talk about the Debian archive structure and making
> your own repository and found it seriously lacking (as did several
> others).
Damn, don't remind me. I was nearly able to forget it.

> So this year I would like to volunteer to talk about it. I've
> maintained my own private archive for years and did most of the work
> for the debian-amd64 archive and I maintain debmirror.
Sounds like a good qualification.

> Chapters for my talk would be:
>
> - Archive layout from the view of the user (apt/dselect/aptitude)
> How does it all interconnect? What file is what? What kind of
> freedom does that leave to organize your own archive?
>
> - Debians layout in the past and present (non-pool and pool structure)
I would keep the historical part *very* short and I guess the audience
more or less knows the pool structure quite well.

> - Other layouts for different jobs (snapshot.debian.net, backports, ...)
Interesting.

> - Tools to create a debian mirror or archive (rsync, demirror,
> dpkg-scan*, apt-ftparchive, debpool, reprepro, dak)
>
> - Britney or why is testing so damn difficult?
This sounds like beeing a very hot topic. Especially if you think of
the proposed post-Sarge changes (uhmm, I'm smelling the flames of an
upcoming flame war - please not on this list). A detailed description
of britney and perhaps something about the chances to get kind of

          britney-x.y-z.deb

would be great.

> So if you want me to hold that talk this year let me know.
Let you know ...

> I can also do a talk about the multiarch proposal. That should
> probably be more an introduction to the proposal and then discussion
> about it. Only intresting for developers as its mostly technical.
If I'm not completely wrong the audience consists of developers and
expects mostly technical talks. That's why the talk you was refering above
was a complete failure.

Kind regards

           Andreas.

--