Re: CeBIT booth

From: Frank Küster <frank@kuesterei.ch>
Date: Thu Mar 24 2005 - 10:05:17 CET

Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> wrote:

> May be it is off-topic but I have to share the experience:
>
> When I reached the LinuxPark at CeBIT two people went behind me:
> She: Linux? Isn't that the other Windows.
> He: Yesss.

You can interpret this in very different ways. My wife knows what Linux
is, well; but she has a hard time telling the difference between
"Windows", "Winword", and "Microsoft"¹. Might just as well that "He"
struggled to explain her the difference, telling that an alternative to
"Winword" is "Openoffice", while an alternative to "Windows" is
"Linux". So this would just mean he was glad that she learned the
lesson...

Regards, Frank

¹and also between "Linux", "TeX", "Emacs" and "Shell". She just doesn't
see it made up of parts, it's simply the box where she writes the
nice-looking letters, compared to the ugly-looking ones at work.

--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich