Re: Debian at Chemnitzer Linuxtage 2005

From: Thomas Templin <lists@gnuwhv.de>
Date: Tue Mar 08 2005 - 17:50:31 CET

On Tuesday 08 March 2005 16:25, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Mar 2005, Thomas Templin wrote:
> > Knoppix is an universe of its own, at least it's becoming an
> > universe of its own.
> > But diferent universe's could be shown as bubbles, a bit like
> > bathing foam. :-)
> > Which is quite close to what state of the art amongst
> > cosmologists / in cosmology.
>
> I see it like you - but where to draw the borderline?
Is there a borderline in outer space. I Think not. :)
But if we see it in the position how a poster could look like:
a) if we have a projection of the Debian universe on a round sphere
   Debian itself would be in the frontside/middle of the ball.
   CDD's will be arranged aside, fonts occure smaller and smaller
   until you need a lense to see them.
b) Bathing foam bubbles
   Debian and its closest CDD's are on a bubble in the middle of the
   poster.
   Other universes are smaller bubbles in the background.

> > That's one of the biggest problem Debian has. There are only a
> > handfull DD's who are good presenters.
> > As I like to say, "The more geniality the more they tend to
> > behave autistic." :-))
>
> Well, the other reason might be that they just work on different
> fields and just do not have any time to learn about CDDs.
I would say this is due to the circumstance that Debian offers no
place for people which have other skills than beeing a DD.
Think of Media people who might be able to make video's of the best
presentations of the best Debian protagonists.

To give an example of the perspectives:
Georg Greve did some talks about Free Software aranged by a local
linux user group at a local IT fair here in Wilhelmshaven, Germany,
which is not known to be the center of Germany. One could say it's
quite near to the a... of Germany.
(Hope Joey don't read this mail, he's from Wilhelmshaven ;-)
One of the LUG fellows made a video of his talks and this video was
played from time to time at LUG-WHV meetings.

I would bet for that if we can offer such _good_ talks as a video
there will be a lot of LUG's / people which are interested to get
them for their needs.

The problem is, where to find such people who are skilled to make such
videos?
And, why should such a video crew only make Debian videos. Think of
Linuxtag Karlsruhe, what if we will find such a crew for that
event...

> > May be we should start to look for allied partners who will give
> > the reccources to enforce debian-med developing.
>
> As I said: At first wee need upstream development.
What precisely do you mean with 'upstream development'?

> > Have you ever introduced debian-med to developing countries, eg.
> > by visiting their national boothes on CeBIT fair and trying to
> > find someone who will listen to your offers?
> > If not, you may find me at CeBIT...
>
> I'll be at CeBIT on 15. + 16. 4. But I refuse to do advertising
> for Debian-Med. I'm sorry, I'm a very bad salesman and if people
> *want* the stuff I'm offering for free and what I persent on
> several events (see my talks listing) they can have it. I will not
> go to them and try to convince anybody.
> But some of them noticed the work ...
>
> > As always, the one and only problem are reccources...
> > What have you done to dig for?
>
> I always "redirect" people from Debian-Med to GnuMed.
>
> > Do you know someone who may assist you in digging for reccources?
>
> Just go for it
Thats a very good example and another problem of most Debian DD's I
see. Wait until someone does the work for you you don't like to do.
If I read 'Just go for it' I ask myself, why should I.
You don't get the intention of my suggestions.
Partnership means to work together for the benefit of all
participants/partners.
'Just go for it' says to me, 'The work is mine the pearls are yours.'
Its often more advantageous 'to feed the hen who's eggs you weant to
eat.'

Bye,
TT

--