Localisation Research Centre Conference 2004 Open Source Localisa tion

From: Karl.Kelly <Karl.Kelly@ul.ie>
Date: Wed Jul 14 2004 - 17:37:57 CEST

To whom it may concern,

My name is Karl Kelly, I am the event coordinator at the Localisation
Research Centre (LRC) at the University of Limerick, Ireland. I am writing
to you in connection with our annual localisation conference which will take
place this September at the University of Limerick in Ireland. The theme of
this year's conference is "Open Source Localisation", a topic that has been
on the lips of many in our industry over the past few years, and a topic
that we feel will play a huge role in the future of our industry.

We feel that this conference will be a fantastic opportunity for the open
source community to step forward and show why open source is going to be
instrumental in expanding the versatility and usability of software on a
world scale, already open source applications are beginning to outnumber
proprietary software applications in relation to localisation and
availability in multiple languages. As one of the most popular and widely
used Linux Distributions I was wondering if a representative of Debian would
be interested in participating in this year's conference.

I am attaching a draft programme for this years conference. I would
appreciate it if you could distribute this information to the relevant
personnel and contact me if anyone would be interested in speaking on any of
the subjects on the programme, or on any subject that they believe would be
relevant but is not contained in the draft.

Thanks for your time,

Best Regards,

Karl Kelly
Localisation Research Centre (LRC)
Department of Computer Science and Information Systems (CSIS)
University of Limerick
Limerick
Ireland

Tel. +353-61-202748

About the LRC

The Localisation Research Centre provides a comprehensive information
service to the localisation industry; conducts research and development in
localisation and related areas, such as language engineering; organises
regular conferences and meetings; produces a range of publications including
Localisation Focus; and oversees a number of education and training
programs.

The LRC maintains strong links with industry through its industrial advisory
board and project partnerships and has carried out consultancy work for the
localisation industry, the Irish government and the European Commission. Its
director authored the EU sectoral study on New Media Localisation and in
2001 the LRC carried out its first annual world-wide survey into salaries in
the localisation industry.

 <<LRC 2004 Programme.doc>>