Re: Talking about Cds .... LinuxTag 2004?

From: Daniel E. Atencio Psille (dea@atencio.de)
Date: Sat Feb 28 2004 - 19:59:45 CET

Sven Hoexter wrote:

| On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 05:14:49PM +0100, Daniel E. Atencio Psille wrote:
|
|>Sven Hoexter wrote:
|

|>| LinuxTag 2004. First I'm unable to manage or master stuff for the
LinuxTag
|>| this year. If I would like to have a chance to pass my exams I've to
|>| concentrate on school so no time for other things. Sorry.
|>|

|>I probably can assist in building the Image but I have no DVD-Writer
|>(only a CD-Writer) so actually writing specimen for testing purposes
|>would have been done by someone else. CeBIT is too close, but LinuxTag
|>would be manageable.
|
| Well best is to take it all but be warned testing is a hart and time
| consuming task. Building the image itself is not that hard at all ;)
| Anyway you need to coordinate with someone in germany so that he can burn
| and test your golden master and sent it to the cd manufacturer when it's
| ready.

Piano, piano, please ;) I offered assistance that's all I actually can
guarantee. I'm currently in a job change which means that I've got
plenty of time now but can't see how my situation in April will be.

Anyway, are there any testing guidelines? Rules or anything describing
methods, criteria and similar? I'm not afraid of a time consuming task
as it encourages me in trying to get as much as possible done now.

Is there already someone who will arrange the production of the CD? As
this would be my first "CD of Mass Production" (scnr) there may be some
information I better should be aware of.

|>As we're talking about a DVD - would it be (technically) possible to
|>produce sort of a multi-architectural DVD? One that could be used on a
|>Mac as well as on a ix86, IA64 or SPARC? I don't know much about the
|>technical details but I think this could be a really interesting Ad ;)
|
| I don't think it's possible with sparc but ia64 might be possible if the
| boot stuff hasn't changed.

OK, just because I'm courious I'll investigate the technical
possibilities regarding a dual-arch booteable CD/DVD. I know, that ppc
and ix86 may use different formats (filesystems, bootsectors? dunno)
since I've got some CD with different content depending on what
machine/OS thei're mounted. I'm still guessing but this would be the way
I'd try to get the different bootloaders to work. I'll keep you informed.

| Sven

Best regards, Daniel