Re: Language of talks at LinuxTag

From: Andrew M.A. Cater (amacater@galactic.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2003 - 22:01:22 CEST

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 01:15:47PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Andreas Tille wrote:
> > beeing at Debconf in Oslo I just want to foreward some kind of critics
> > to LinuxTag: Several people regard this event as really useless for people
> > who do not understand German.
> <snip>
> If the event was useless for people from the community of Debian,
> then the Debian booth and Debian people did a very poor job. I
> hope that's only a misinterpretation.
>
> Regards,
>
> Joey

This is a valid point. We expect that everyone on the Debian lists
probably has some ability in English. To what extent should we expect
that we should be able to field a multilingual team for a big expo.

I feel fairly confident that I can understand French well, read it
fluently and translate it but I can only speak it moderately. The
same goes for Spanish. [At school I learned these languages to
the rough equivalent level to the baccalaureat / German Arbeitur]
I can hack my way through Italian and Portuguese text but its hard.
I have never formally learned German or Dutch.

The project compromise is that everyone speaks English on the lists.
If we are running a Debian conference with pre-prepared talks and
papers, would it be possible to translate to say - English, French,
German for each paper? Several conferences put out a CD of conference
proceedings - given papers / the text of talks well in advance, we might
do this.

I was involved in a small EU project involving small charities where,
through lack of money, each organisation had to translate their own
stuff into English. I spent the best part of a year fielding emails in
Spanish and doing simultaneous translations to keep our Spanish partners
on track with what we were doing. Much to my chagrin, the English group
didn't translate their stuff to Dutch/Swedish/Finnish/Spanish :(

Just my 0.02 Euro

Andy