Re: status update LT 2003 CD

From: Stefan Gybas (sgybas@provective.de)
Date: Sun Jun 08 2003 - 16:32:07 CEST

Sven Hoexter wrote:

> As always please give me feedback and I'm still waiting that
> somebody sends me a list of nice apt-get able backport archives
> wich work without major problems for inclusion in our list.

Here is my list:

# Blackdown JDK
deb ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/languages/java/linux/debian woody main non-free

# KDE 3.1
deb ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/kde/stable/latest/Debian woody main

# XFree 4.2, gcc 3.x, Mozilla, SANE, Wine, ALSA, cdrecord, ... (Adrian Bunk)
deb http://www.fs.tum.de/~bunk/debian woody/bunk-1 main

# OpenOffice.org
deb http://ftp.freenet.de/pub/ftp.vpn-junkies.de/openoffice/ woody main
contrib

# Apache 2.0, subversion, db4.1, tcl/tk 8.4 (Colin Watson)
deb http://people.debian.org/~cjwatson/subversion-woody/ ./

# Updated Samba 2.2 packages (Eloy A. Paris)
deb http://people.debian.org/~peloy/samba stable main

# Acrobat reader, MPlayer, avifile, transcode, codecs, ... (Christian
Marillat)
deb http://marillat.free.fr/ stable main

# Gnome 2.2, Evolution (James Strandboge)
deb
http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/mirrors.evilgeniuses.org.uk/debian/backports/woody
gnome2.2/

# Gimp 1.3, Sylpheed, Pan, vcdimager (Klaus Vormweg)
# requires XFree 4.2 and some Gnome 2.2 libraries
deb http://www.tu-harburg.de/~vkv/debian ./

Some comments:

- All version numbers in these repositories seem to be sane, i.e. the
   version number is lower than the official sarge/sid version so updates
   will hopefully be painless when sarge is released.

- Adrian also has a backport of OpenOffice.org in his contrib section.
   I don't know the difference between his packages and the ones from
   vpn-junkies.de.

- Colin's Apache 2.0 backport is currently at version 2.0.45 which
   contains at least one DoS. But it's the only way to get subversion on
   woody.

- The last two repositories include a lot of library updates. If you add
   them to sources.list you'll need to download a lot of packages after
   you have installed the packages from the CD and your system will be
   very different from standard woody. This is also true for KDE 3.1.

Regards
Stefan Gybas