Re: status update LT 2003 CD

From: Martin Schulze (joey@infodrom.org)
Date: Fri Jun 06 2003 - 16:38:18 CEST

Sven Hoexter wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 12:03:42PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > > Am Fre, 2003-06-06 um 07.26 schrieb Josef Spillner:
>
> Hi,

> > > Well, if it should be a discussion, you should find someone that is pro
> > > the new Jugendschutzgesetz, or the whole discussion will not be too
> > > interesting. But I have no idea where to find such a person :-)
> >
> > In general I like the idea.
> I don't like it. IMHO those "regulations" or "protections" are nothing more

Err.. I don't think he meant 'I like the idea of this Jungendsch(m)utzgesetz',
but that that he liked the idea of having a panel discussion about
this one.

> > You should try to find somebody from the FSK/USK
> > to attend and/or some politician (see the last but 1-3 c't magazines that
> > listed some). A panel discussion does only make sense if both sides are
> > represented (pro and contra).
> Well having people from the USK there in a discussion would be nice but I
> guess that they don't know very much about OpenSource so this might be a
> chance to open the mind of a few persons bevor we go into a discussion
> without a base. As long as they don't understand what opensource is and
> where excatly our problem is the discussion would be worthless.

This is usually solved by briefing the panel members before the
discussion, maybe even preparing a sheet of paper that contains the
basics about it. Additionally it is useful to start the discussion by
an intro from a third party describing the new law and the nature of
Free Software, so both panel members and attendees are informed.

However, still a panel discussion is quite useless if all panel
members are contra foo (or pro foo FWIW). That won't create a
discussion but some kind of chant.

We all know Linux is great... it does infinite loops in 5 seconds.
        -- Linus Torvalds