Re: status update LT 2003 CD

From: Sven Hoexter (sven@timegate.de)
Date: Mon Jun 02 2003 - 08:01:45 CEST

On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 11:23:22PM +0200, Stefan Gybas wrote:
> Sven Hoexter wrote:

Hi Stefan,

> >- added Adrian Bunks xpdf backport
>
> Why don't you include his other backports? A new version of XFree86 will
> be useful for a lot of people. And KDE 3.1 from kde.org, too.
1. Every backport or new upstream version is a few kb or even mb larger so
we would have to skip other packages.
2. Backports did not went through all the Debian QA cycles
3. Not all backport maintainer care about security updates (Adrian does but
it's a general thing)

These are my Top 3 reasons to not include big backports like XFree or KDE.
I asked about this topic in February and got this answer:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-events-eu/2003/debian-events-eu-200301/msg00111.html

If you offer me a plan wich packages I should skip for including a new
XFree I'll try to find some time to test if it's possible.

Anyway if you have good sources for a usefull backport please send me
a mail with the deb and deb-src entry for the sources.list and a short
description so that I can add them to the base-config package.

> >http://source.rfc822.org/pub/mirror/lt2003/woody-i386-1_NONUS_v6.raw
>
> I've tested the image but could to get X11 running because Xfree 4.1
> does not support my laptop's chipset. Everything else was fine.
Ok that's a real problem :(

> Can't you print umlauts in the initial boot screen?
Jupp problem with isolinux. Anyway I don't like Umlaute ;)

Have a nice day,
Sven

--
It really sucks to give your heart to a girl
You want to know her like she knows the whole world