Re: Re: CeBIT

From: Michael Bramer (grisu@debian.org)
Date: Wed Feb 05 2003 - 14:47:53 CET

    On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 12:32:18PM +0100, Michael Meskes wrote:
    > On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 10:57:49PM +0100, Michael Bramer wrote:
    > > - Don't use KDE. (KDE is not evil, but the visitors see this on _any_
    >
    > Why not?
    >
    > > linux like booth.) You can install it, you can start a second X
    >
    > This doesn't look like a reason. I don't think we have be different than
    > the rest by just not showing KDE. For most would-be-users the biggest
    > task is realizing that Debian is a valid Linux system but just better in
    > many areas. By nor showing KDE you just make this step harder to
    > accomblish.
    >
    > Also keep in mind that many newbies need the easy GUI desperately.

    I will not hidde KDE.

    But KDE is normal and no eye catcher. If you use things like
    'windowmaker', visitors will stop and ask 'is this Gnome? I only
    hear/read something about it...'

    And now you can talk about free software, about choices (KDE, gnome,
    windowsmaker and the other XX WMs), about >10.000 Packages, apt-get, ...

    You get the point?

    My last mail has only some 'thoughts', it was and is no guideline!

    Gruss
    Grisu

    --
    Michael Bramer  -  a Debian Linux Developer      http://www.debsupport.de
    Windows kann kein Virus sein. Ein Virus ist in der Regel klein,