Re: Urgent: HCT 2003

From: Jan-Hendrik Palic (palic@billgotchy.de)
Date: Sun Jan 19 2003 - 22:46:34 CET

    Hiho

    On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 09:10:36PM +0100, Martin Schulze wrote:
    >The current staff list lists the following people:
    >
    > Name Country ZIP City Hardware Booth
    > Andreas Müller DE 50xxx Köln Powerbook, PS/2 Do-So
    > Ayman 'XSnack' Negm DE 20xxx Hamburg 2x Desktop Do-So
    > Fabio Massimo Di Nitto IT Do-So
    > Jan-Hendrik 'Gromit' Palic DE 24xxx Kiel Indy Do-So

    Jan-Hendrik 'Gromit' Palic DE 24xxx Kiel Indy/IBook2 Fi-So
    I only get free from my work on friday. I will arrive Hamburg on
    thursday evening, so I am at HCT on friday morning.

    > Martin 'Joey' Schulze DE 26xxx Oldenburg So

    >So on Thursday there should be enough people to set up and maintain the
    >booth. What about machines and other equipment? Is everything in
    >place? Is everybody taking enough power chords, power expanders,
    >network cables and hubs/switches with him?

    TCP/IP Cable an powercables are brought with me for my computers.
    Is there anyone, who can provide a monitor with sync-on-green?
    It would be fine to have an indy with monitor .. :)

    >The above lists 5 machines, but Fabio, Gromit and me will probably
    >take a laptop with us, so we need at least 8 ports. Since large
    >network cables are not too common, I'd suggest the booth uses an own
    >switch/hub to connect to the NMMN network so we can use smaller
    >cables.

    Do we have such a switch already? Should I brovide one from my work?
    .o0(I have to reread fabios mail)

    >I hope there are at least two large monitors that can be hooked to
    >the desktop machines. We will probably need one machine and monitor
    >as general attraction box (code name ``eye catcher'') that runs some
    >cool application (like bb, some fancy xmms plugin, eRich's Debian
    >animation, or some other graphical demo like xscreensavers etc.). It
    >should demonstrate *only* Free software.

    *yeah* Gnome2/KDE would be nice ..

    >The second machine and monitor should be used to demonstrate certain
    >parts to the Debian system. A cool window-manager + setup is
    >mandatory and Free applications should be demonstrated. Last year
    >falky tried to setup the new vegastrike, so that may still be an
    >option.

    yes .. tuxracer would be a good Eyecatcher too :)

    >Fabio offered to take a hub and two switches with him. Currently,
    >especially since nobody else offered network equipment, I'd like him
    >to take one switch with him if that's possible.

    ok ....

    >For the WLAN station, I'd say it would be fun and Gromit could
    >demonstrate how it works with an iBook, but that would only be an
    >extra attraction and not a required one. So, if you have some place
    >left, Fabio, please take the WLAN station with you.

    Oh fabio .. please take it with you :)))
    Andreas Mueller and me have Airportcards. So .. we should demonstrate
    something like that ...
    My vlan is working and ready :)

    >For the evening, it would be a good idea to plan if/when/where to go
    >on Thursday, Friday and Saturday in order to gather with more Debian
    >and Free Software people. For example, there are some more Debian
    >developers living in Hamburg, some LinuxTag staff is there and last
    >but not least Georg Greve from the FSF(E) is also located in HH.

    Hmmm Georg .. nice nice .. who is living in Hamburg too?
    I would try to get the poeple together for one evening ..
    I would suggest on friday?

    >Hence, dinner with friends sound appropriate. This year I can't
    >afford attending, though.
    >
    >For entrance, I guess that when I arrive, I can phone Gromit so he
    >picks me up at the entrance if the entrance people don't know me. For
    >Fabio, I guess that it would be the easiest if he received Gromit's
    >cell phone number (if he hasn't negotiated with Wolfgang yet).

    Yes .. everyone, who need my number, please mail me ...
    But I am at the booth on friday ;)

                    Regards
                                    Jan

    --
      .''`.    Jan-Hendrik Palic     |
     : :' : ** Debian GNU/ Linux **  |   ** OpenOffice.org **       ,.. ,..