Review: Linux World Conference & Expo in Frankfurt

From: Michael Banck (mbanck@gmx.net)
Date: Sun Nov 17 2002 - 23:26:45 CET

    OK, so here is my try for a review:

    The expo took place in a part of hall 6 at the Frankfurt Messe from
    Tuesday, Oct. 29 till Thursday, Oct. 31.

    - Booth building-up

    Can't really say much here, as I didn't hear my alarm and arrived quite
    late to bring the beamer with me :-/

    - The Booth

    We were really far off, the booth most distant from the entrance in a
    corner. On the other hand just opposite of us was the Credativ booth
    with Michael Meskes and Noel Köthe, who equipped us with CDs and Flyers
    and came over for a chat from time to time. The booth only had one wall,
    so we could not put too many posters there, as the beamer was using most
    of it. We had to share one DSL connection with the whole .org-Pavillon,
    but most of the time it worked out. Two notebooks on a small table and
    one desktop in the corner equipped the booth, the beamer was plugged
    into one of the notebooks. All computers were i386.

    - The Staff

    Alexander Schmehl, Jörg Jaspert, Chris Halls and me where at the booth
    most of the time. Daniel Priem was at the booth all day on tuesday, Rene
    Engelhard helped out on wednesday afternoon and Erik Tews showed up for
    a short time on tuesday afternoon, too. As I've said above, Noel came
    over several times for a chat and was talking to visitors, too.

    - The Visitors

    Naturally, there was a quite changing flux of visitors at our booth.
    Most of the time, one or two of us was not in conversation and able to
    read mail or have a look around at the other booths. There were some
    longer periods with no visitors at all (towards the evenings usually)
    and sometimes the booth was swamped with people...

    There where several types of people coming to our booth:

     1. People from corporations or public administration who screened every
        project, asking us: 'So, what's special about, uhm, debian?' I told
        them general stuff about 'stable', security.debian.org, non-free !=
        debian and so on.

     2. Similar people as above, but asking like: 'So, I've heard debian has
        excellent security updates. How does that work?' They were quite
        nice to talk to, the conversation was quite technically usually.

     3. Staff from other booths like AMD or Sun going: 'Well, we have to use
        SuSE|Redhat at work, but at home I've got debian running of course.
        Great work!' They usually stayed for a small chat and/or SuSE-
        bashing.

     4. Staff from other booths who asked for specific debian-related stuff.
        For example, an Oracle employee who was put at the SuSE booth once
        came over asking if Oracle ran on debian, and what he could tell
        his customers inoffcially if they asked for debian. An AMD employee
        told me he'd loved to see an opteron port of debian and was
        discussing 64bit versus 32bit user-space a bit with me.

     5. Regular users who apparently didn't know debian too well, took a CD
        and left.

     6. Regular debian users who applauded us for our work and usually
        stayed quite a while asking all kinds of general questions and/or
        telling stories about their use of debian/linux (blocking
        conversation with other, still-to-be-converted people sometimes) One
        of them even wanted our autographs on his newly-bought LinuxTag
        Debian CD-Set...

     7. Regular debian users with very specific questions that we tried to
        answer. One of them asked how to install some obscure variant of an
        alpha box which needs a custom kernel or something, for example.

     8. Celebreties. Klaus Knopper, the guy behind the famous Knoppix
        Live-CD visited our booth on wednesday IIRC. He showed how to
        install Knoppix permanently on a hardisk and experienced a debian
        install for the first time ever. Jörg Schilling was at our
        booth for a long time on wednesday and thursday, explaining his
        smake build system and some of his other programs to Jörg (and me,
        when I was able to listen). Very interesting.

    - The Stuff

    We had flyers and LinuxTag-CDs. Some people asked for posters or
    T-Shirts, but I think they were too few that it would have been worth
    the effort (I bought an FSF shirt though). Virtually nobody gave any
    donations in exchange for CDs, it's a business thing after all. We ran
    out of CDs sometime on Thursday, burning blank CDs for interested
    visitors with Jörg's burner. I think flyers were out on thurday, too,
    not sure. Oh, and LinuxLand 'donated' some PC-case stickers with a
    debian swirl to the developers, after some talking-in.

    - The Beamer

    Most of the time on Tuesday and Wednesday the beamer was used to show
    off 'bb' as a screen-saver. Alexander Schmehl walked a couple of
    visitors through the installation on wednesday and thursday which caught
    the interest of other visitors even more :) Perhaps we should put a sign
    'Installation demonstrations on demand' somewhere at the booth next
    time, I think it was a very nice demonstration.

    - The Social Event/The Evenings

    Sorry, I was not able to attend those, more or less being on holiday at
    my parents.

    - The Conclusion

    I was really happy with the expo. Our booth seemed to be one of the most
    frequented of the .org pavillon. I was able to talk to a lot of
    interested and interesting persons during the time, as well as chatting
    with the fellow developers and users. I think every single person I've
    talked to who knew debian already was very positive about it, some
    seemed to have come because of our booth alone. The ones who didn't know
    about it seemed to be at least a little bit impressed.

    Overall, did I say I was really happy to be there?

    Until next year hopefully,

    Michael

    --
    <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping,
    it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.