Review Practical Linux Giessen/Germany

From: Alexander Schmehl (schmehl@informatik.uni-frankfurt.de)
Date: Mon Oct 21 2002 - 15:11:09 CEST

    Good morning,

    well, this event was - uhh - very chaotic.

    So I think, this 'review' will be more or less a summary of my personal
    failures ;)

    First thing was, that I was very busy in the last weeks. So I didn't
    had the time to practice my talk before friday evening. So I sat
    saturday morning in the train to Giessen and corrected my slides.

    Reaching the train was another problem, because thought a week before
    this event, to order additional LinuxTag CDs from Grisu. They arived in
    time, friday morning, but the package didn't fit in my briefcase, so I
    needed to go to the post office saturday morning 9am, to the train
    9:22am. I arrived in Giessen 9:59am, and the exhibition opened at
    10:00am.

    When I arrived there, I found some Debian developers. So I did not need
    to be at the booth, which was very big for such small event, all the
    time (but nearly all the time). While pining some of the posters I
    brought, some of those developers knocked his coffee-pot over our
    flyers (and partly over the map of the debian developers; it now looks
    like someone moved the "great barriers rief" in the indian ocean).

    So I did what everyone would have done, in this stressfull moment, when
    murphy's law strikes very hard at you: Lough very loudly :-)

    The six hours til my talk went very well; our booth was very well
    visited. At 4:00pm I took my brothers notebook, to went to my talk.
    I planed to a little bit about the Debian project and the advantages of
    Debian and of the disadvantages of Debian (I called them prejudice),
    and to show them, that Debian is easy to install, I would have removed
    all partitions from the notebooks harddisk, pick a volunteer, and let
    him install debian, while I commented what he was doing.

    Nice plan, but I think some coffee got in my notebooks floppy drive (I
    planed to burn my slides on cd, but didn't did so, because I edited
    them on my way to Giessen). It must have been very funny for the
    visitors, which saw me frowing, swearing at my notebook, and throwing a
    disk disk in the next dustbin.

    Well, I improvised a little bit for the first part, and found a
    volunteer for the installation. I think the visitors where impressed,
    when they saw me running fdisk and killing all partitions.
    And then I made a big mistake: I installed Debian a dozen times on this
    notebook, and every time, it asked me to remove the pcmcia packages and
    every time I said "no". In the presentation I decided against it,
    because I told all the time "if you don't know, what to do trust
    Debian". Something wired happend, some dependencie problems appeared,
    and the installation didn't finish correctly; I was running out of
    time (I allready took 10 Minutes from the talk after mine), so I
    decided to break the presentation at this point.

    At least Klaus Knopper was satisfied, because right after my "Debian
    Installation is easy"-talk he hold his "Linux Installation is
    unnecessary"-talk ;-)

    Some of the guys in my talk visited me at my booth after the talk, and
    I could show them a running X tweo minutes after my I finished my talk.

    BTW: After I returned to my booth, which I left unmaned for one hour,
    all LinuxTag CDs where gone. Not a single one left.

    Uhh, so much for that event. So lets see, what I can do at the Linux
    World expo :-))

    --

    cu Alex

    -- PGP key on demand, mailto:alexander@schmehl.info with subject "get pgp-key"