Re: some extra LT review points ...

From: Arne Wichmann (aw@net.uni-sb.de)
Date: Fri Jul 12 2002 - 22:51:42 CEST

    begin quotation from Tille, Andreas (in <Pine.LNX.4.44.0206121437370.22688-100000@wr-linux02.rki.ivbb.bund.de>):
    > On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Michael Bramer wrote:
    >
    > > 2.)
    > > The 'put a donation, get a CD' is ok. But if a visitor show a strong
    > > interest in Debian, he should get a CD for free.
    > Definitely. This is what I used to do. After a ten minute talk about
    > Debian I did not ask for a donation when the visitor wanted to grab
    > one or more CDs. This is more or less for visitors standing outside
    > the booth. Those who came inside were not asked to give something ...

    Hm. I was flamed once for doing that.

    > > But we must make some extra thoughts on this point. If we will not put
    > > out CDs for free, we don't need thousands CDs and the Price per CD
    > > will rise. Maybe we will not found/need some sponsors...
    > Uhmm, yes. Something I did not think about before. May be some
    > sponsors would be angry if we proceed as on Sunday. But we would have
    > definitely run oput of CDs if we would have proceeded like the days
    > before.

    What about the following algorithm:

    - divide the CD-boxes into 2*days heaps, and label them as follows: (1.1,
      1.2, 2.1, 2.2, 3.1, 3,2 ...)
    - on each day X do the following:
      - only open one of the smallest-numbered boxes
      - if you open a box labeled X.2 (or Y.i with Y>X and i in {1,2}) put up
        the donation-sign

    begin quotation from Martin Schulze (in <20020616110302.GH10832@finlandia.infodrom.north.de>):
    > Michael Bramer wrote:
    > > 2.)
    > > The 'put a donation, get a CD' is ok. But if a visitor show a strong
    > > interest in Debian, he should get a CD for free.
    > >
    > > But we must make some extra thoughts on this point. If we will not put
    > > out CDs for free, we don't need thousands CDs and the Price per CD
    > > will rise. Maybe we will not found/need some sponsors...
    >
    > I guess, we should reconsider what we want?
    >
    > a) Gain as much fund and donations from giving away CDs
    >
    > OR
    >
    > b) Spreading Debian GNU/Linux as much as possible by giving away free
    > copies of the CD.

    In my opinion definitely b).

    cu

    AW

    --
    <ThePhonk> *tueteKlammernUeberVariableAuskipp* Dereferenzier Dich, Du
    +Miststueck!