Re: [LT] Hardware at Debian Booth

From: Roland Rosenfeld (roland@spinnaker.de)
Date: Sat Jun 01 2002 - 18:18:08 CEST

On Sat, 01 Jun 2002, Thimo Neubauer wrote:

> > What machines from this set do we need (3*m68k seems to be quite
> > much to me)?

> > Does it make sense to show two alphas?

> Ummh. I thought that we already disussed the computers for the
> booth... At least I proposed a list in
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-events-eu/2002/debian-events-eu-200205/msg00014.html
> and in the following thread nobody really objected. The most
> interesting reply was yours telling us that you think that your Alpha
> is too slow. That's why I replied that I organized a faster Alpha
> which I'm installing at the moment. I thought that it would be
> implicitly clear that IMHO only the faster Alpha makes sense.

There was so much said implicitly, that I wasn't sure, that everybody
(including me) realized all of it. That's why I tried to collect the
summary of it :-)

> I also already discussed the three m68k and proposed to show none of
> them at all. There was no reply at all telling "I think that we
> should show them", thus I assumed that the consensus was to let the
> m68k-boxes stay home...

So we currently have 4 machines at the booth:

- Your Alpha
- the PowerMac
- two i386

Sounds quite empty. I have a old SUN Netra (Ultra 1) with ~224MB RAM
and a graphics adapter (maybe I'll find a cable for this, too) at the
office. Does it make sense to try to install Woody on it (never did
this before on a sparc) and bring it with me? I cannot promise this
machine, but if it is useful, I can try it.

> xaos is always nice ;-) I'd suggest that one machine shows something
> spectacular all the time and the rest is mainly for personally
> showing features to the visitors.

For there should be a user with a known (to the booth stuff) password
on every machine, so that the machines can really be use to show
features, even when the contributor of the machine is away...

Tschoeeee

        Roland

--
 * roland@spinnaker.de * http://www.spinnaker.de/ *