Re: [LT] Hardware at Debian Booth

From: Thimo Neubauer (thimo@debian.org)
Date: Sat Jun 01 2002 - 16:20:20 CEST

Hi,

On Sat, Jun 01, 2002 at 12:40:22PM +0200, Roland Rosenfeld wrote:
> I think we should have a good performing machine at the demo point
> (I'd prefer a GHz i386, but nobody offered one so far, so we could use
> the 300-500 MHz i386 offered by Jörg Jaspert).
>
> Then we may need a machine to run the beamer (or does everyone who
> uses it bring a laptop with him?).
>
> At the back of the booth we can place the different architectures:
>
> - powerpc: - Power Macintosh 7200/90 (Jens Schmalzing)
> - m68k: - Mac Quadra 650 (Michael Schmitz)
> - Atari Falcon (Michael Schmitz)
> - Atari TT (Michael Schmitz)
> - alpha: - SX164 (533MHz) (Thimo Neubauer)
> - AlphaStation 200 4/166MHz (128MB) (Roland Rosenfeld)
> - sparc: - SparcStation 4 (Andreas Müller)
>
> What machines from this set do we need (3*m68k seems to be quite much
> to me)?
>
> Does it make sense to show two alphas?

Ummh. I thought that we already disussed the computers for the
booth... At least I proposed a list in
http://lists.debian.org/debian-events-eu/2002/debian-events-eu-200205/msg00014.html
and in the following thread nobody really objected. The most
interesting reply was yours telling us that you think that your Alpha
is too slow. That's why I replied that I organized a faster Alpha
which I'm installing at the moment. I thought that it would be
implicitly clear that IMHO only the faster Alpha makes sense.

I also already discussed the three m68k and proposed to show none of
them at all. There was no reply at all telling "I think that we
should show them", thus I assumed that the consensus was to let the
m68k-boxes stay home...

> What software should we install/run on the machines? I don't think
> that we want to see the backs of 5 developers reading their mail, so
> the machines should show some demo or something like this. As far as
> I know most machines are not the most recent hardware, so high
> performance graphics demos may not be the best choice. But simply
> running bb (the aalib demo) also doesn't sound too interesting. So
> what do we want to run on the machines?

xaos is always nice ;-) I'd suggest that one machine shows something
spectacular all the time and the rest is mainly for personally showing
features to the visitors.

Just my .02 euro

CU
     Thimo