Re: Stop discussing, Start working :-)

From: David N. Welton (davidw@dedasys.com)
Date: Sun May 26 2002 - 16:01:18 CEST

Jens Schmalzing <jens.schmalzing@physik.uni-muenchen.de> writes:

[ cross posted to debian-publicity, even though it seems kind of dead,
despite such interesting messages such as
http://lists.debian.org/debian-publicity/2002/debian-publicity-200205/msg00004.html
]

> Any suggestions and patches are welcome, and I would very much
> appreciate patches to deutsch.tex and english.tex.

\def\Freedom{
%
Debian consists of Free Software only. This allows for an unlimited
use of Debian, even in commercial environments. All the source code
for the software is freely available and included with Debian. Debian
is the largest collection of free software, all precompiled and ready
to go.
%
}

This bit isn't the greatest, IMO. It should start by defining Free
Software... Let me try:

---
\def\Freedom{
%
Debian is comprised entirely of Free Software.  By Free Software, we
don't mean zero cost, but also the Freedom to use it how and where you
want, share it with your friends, read and modify the source code, and
distribute those changes to other people.  This means Debian can be
used with no limitations - even in commercial environments!  Debian is
the largest collection of read-to-install Free Software on the internet.
%
}
---

How does that sound?

Another little change:

--- \def\Community{ %

The Debian project is a 100\% volunteer effort committed to producing a world class Open Source operating system. There are currently around 1000 people from around the globe working on the Debian operating system, each with roles ranging from package Development to Quality Assurance, Security, Policy, and Strategy. ---

Strategy? Does that mean the people who do nothing more than post to mailing lists telling other people what to do? Who are our Debian strategists?;-) I would suggest removing that and maybe put something like "Operations", which covers the people who keep our infrastructure running.

I don't like the continuity bit much, either

--- \def\Continuity{ %

The Debian packaging system allows you to seamlessly upgrade individual packages, or your entire system to newer versions - all without overwriting your old configuration, or requiring you to install from scratch. Dependencies between programs (program A requires library B) are handled automatically and you can install or upgrade from any media: disks, CD-roms, or directly from the Internet.

% } ---

--- Debian has no commercial pressure and will not release a new and possibly unstable version just because of market forces. The Debian maintainers always test the system thoroughly and attempt to remove all known bugs before releasing a new version. ---

Attention non-native english speakers - this one's a really common error - attempt to drill it into your head;-) Actually in english means "in reality" or "really" - NOT "currently".

--- The complete Debian GNU/Linux distribution currently barely fits on 6 CDs (3 of architecture-dependent precompiled binaries plus 3 of source code.) Inside you'll find: ---

Tcl/Tk should be among these!:-) I would put Ruby as well.

--- development tools for the major programming languages (and some of the more obscure ones as well) like: C, C++, ObjectiveC, Java, Python, Perl, Smalltalk, LISP, Scheme, Haskel, ADA, and more ---

Sorry for the format, but I'm in a hurry, and some of the changes might require discussion.

-- David N. Welton Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/ Personal: http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/ Free Software: http://www.dedasys.com/freesoftware/ Apache Tcl: http://tcl.apache.org/