Re: Debian Flyer

From: Noel Koethe (noel@koethe.net)
Date: Sat May 25 2002 - 13:52:24 CEST

On Sam, 25 Mai 2002, Martin Schulze wrote:

> > So I can tell Davide he can stop working on this version
> > and you will make a latex flyer?
>
> If David Welton wants to play with non-free crap, that's his decision,
> I have nothing to do with that. I cannot stop him.

Its not David Welton who works on the flyer.
Its Davide Dettori - davide.dettori (at) nekhem dot com.

Sure he can work on the flyer if he wants but the question
is if the flyer will be spread at the booth if it will be ready
for LT?

> I don't have time for create new flyers within the next 8 days, but
> you probably know that already. For LinuxTag 2003, sure we can create
> new flyers with Free Software, there's enough time for designing and
> implementing.

Sure.

> > Why? I found a person who will invest time and knowledge
> > for a good looking flyer. Because he make it without getting
> > payed I cannot dictate him what he should use.
>
> Because there's a difference between non-free crap and Free Software.

Thanks for telling me that. I didn't know it.:(

> It's not that there is no alternative. You can very well create high
> quality, graphically enhanced printings with The GIMP and LaTeX. All
> you need to do is a) learn GIMP and b) learn LaTeX and graphic
> capabilities.

Sure. You are right. But there isn't any time to learn both.

> Just because you are unable to use The GIMP and LaTeX doesn't mean
> nobody can use them.

I didn't wrote that.

> I see no need for any non-free crap for creating well looking, high
> quality flyers.

> Oh, and for colour separation, dodge that. Create an RGB Postscript
> file, hand it over to a design studio and receive four slides, one for
> each of CMYK. Been there, done that, don't tell me you can't! You
> only need to want it!

And you need time for it which we haven't.

There are 4 possible ways:
1. we use the outdated flyer from LT 2000
2. we don't use any flyer
3. we try to make the flyer from Davide ready
4. someone will make a flyer with pure free software

I prefer 4, 3, 2, 1
Joey prefer 4, 1, afaik

If nobody will do job 4 because of limited time what
will we do?

--
Noch einen schönen Tag

Noèl Köthe