Re: LinuxTag

From: Michael Bramer (grisu@debian.org)
Date: Sun Apr 28 2002 - 19:12:01 CEST

On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 04:52:06PM +0200, Thimo Neubauer wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 12:15:49PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > > I think that the booth is mainly for those who don't know Debian yet
> > > and/or aren't experienced enough to cope with simple problems. Of
> > > course, we've got a whole lot of fans who just want to talk some
> > > tech on LinuxTag. IMO it would be perfect if we got some place
> > > (maybe a small room somewhere?) where could set up a coffee machine
> > > and keep the professional discussions there. Some place where all
> > > DDs can hang around if there are enough persons in the booth and
> > > naturally this would be the place for the techie-visitor to ask
> > > freaky questions. Opinions?
> >
> > Currently this will have to be moved to a foyer or something, since I
> > don't believe that we can get another spare room. Also, there's a
> > ~80m distance between the exhibition and rooms for talks and workshops.
>
> Foyer would be perfect. We could place some kind of hand written
> banner "Debian Zone" (anyone who has got some old linnen?), three
> tables and a couple of chairs there. Add a coffee machine and the
> tech-talk space is ready to go :)

and IP-connection...

to joey: can we really use a Foyer ?

> > > If I get a booth-plan I'd like to plan the layout; I could also
> > > collect ideas for a daily booth-schedule if you like the idea.
> >
> > The best way to get this done, would be to check what kind of a booth
> > you'll need and which size it needs to have and just go ahead and plan
> > the booth.
>
> Ok. Does anyone have old plans together with the stuff we put there?
> I've found the size-only-plans on Joeys page but they are not
> enough. More special: I wasn't at last years LinuxTag; does anyone
> remember the booth-layout? And the problems with it? Other wise I'd
> base it on grisus ascii-art version :)

The last year we have a corner booth (like the ascii version).

But:
  - in the corner (in the ascii version: the white wall) was a door to
    the 'open project store room'
  - we had one (or two) demomoint
  - and some tables on the walls with 'some' computers...
    ( I don't really like this. Better we have some demopoints at the
    booth-gangway-line with one debian booth person per demopoint...)
  - IMHO the layout was like 3m x 6m (?)

> > > 1.) you talk:
> > > can't you make a 'real talk' for the debian day?
> >
> > You'll have to distinguish between a different audience. Attendees at
> > the Debian Day will most probably be Debian Developers or experienced
> > Debian users, while visitors at the booth will most probably be
> > newbies and Debian fans (well, and lots of Debiand developers...)
>
> Yes, I can, of course, also talk at a "Debian Day" but we should first
> focus on the unexperienced audience. The professional visitors are
> easy to handle, they understand confusing tech-talk, they already know
> why they chose Debian ;)

maybe you find some problems with 'debian on laptops' and you can show
this problems at the debian day... Maybe we found some fixes...

> > Sounds good. However you'll have to ensure three additional things:
> >
> > a) The distance between the white wall and the beamer needs to be
> > large enough. I have to admit that I don't have enough experience
> > with different beamers to tell you how much space is required in
> > between.
>
> Ok, first of all: it's a bit unclear if I can get the beamer I thought
> of, the secretary is still investigating this. Of course, any
> scientific stuff has a higher priority than me... But if I really get

ok, I you get some info, please mail this ...

> it, the distance beamer <-> wall should better be > 3m. Less is
> possible but then it'd be no better than a CRT :)

 - we don't have a CRT | TFT
 - if the beamer make only a 1m x 1.25m screen, this is better as a
   normal display.

> > b) The space between the beamer and the white wall needs to be free.
> > There must be no people between them. Well, even while this
> > sounds logical, former Debian booths at LinuxTag have proven that
> > there are a lot of people around. Please check some pictures[1]
> > from last years.
> >
> > c) Make sure nobody is able to crash the beamer.
>
> Those are the bigger problems :( The usual way to cope with this is to
> put the beamer on the ceiling but this is a no-go on LinuxTag, I
> guess. A hack would be to put it on top of a shelf, projecting
> diegonally downwards. The picture would be quite distorted but it
> could be safe... Better ideas? (there can only be better ideas ;)

see my privat mail...

Gruss
Grisu

--
Michael Bramer  -  a Debian Linux Developer      http://www.debsupport.de
"Manchmal ist es besser zu schweigen und die anderen glauben zu lassen, man sei