Re: Linuxtag

From: Michael Bramer (grisu@debian.org)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 11:56:24 CEST

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 10:28:50AM +0200, Thimo Neubauer wrote:

> > > One Idea: Have one (or more) Systems their and show the Install of
> > > Debian. Let the User install Debian and give help, so they can walk
> > > through a complete Setup of Debian and if they have Problems they can
> > > ask for help. So they can go home with a little knowledge about the
> > > Installer.
> >
> > We can show a debian installation if we get a forum or beamer at the
> > booth. Maybe we can show something at the debianday, but imho a show at
> > the booth is better.
>
> I'd like to man the booth too and could perhaps offer a portable
> beamer from my university (I got it for the 60th birthday of my mother
> so LinuxTag should be no problem :)
>
> Maybe we should also show other great and characteristic things, like:
>
> 1. show how easy a regular update with apt is (we just have to create
> a slightly old harddisk image so we can show it again). We could
> also show the power of apt-cache search and aptitude

IMHO we don't need a show about aptitude, apt etc.

We should show this all the time at the booth, not only in one show!

If I on a booth, I make normal this:
 - I get a computer with debian woody, with 'no' packages (no gimp, no
   kword, no ...). Only runing X and some window manager. In
   sources.list are potato and sid and a apt pining with 'get woody'.

 - I sit in front of the computer and wait.
 - If some visitor ask 'Oh you don't use KDE?! Have debian no KDE?'
   I reply 'Oh, yes but debian have it... I show you kword ok?'
   Get a shell, type 'kword' -> 'Command not found'. 'Oh, I have not
   installed it... Please wait a moment...', type 'apt-get install
   kword' and start it...

   Normal the visitor is amazedly. If not, I get auto-apt or some other
   feature.
 - After this we talk about free software, debian, *apt*, etc.
 - Other visitor will watch this show, ask the some questions, install
   other uninstalled packages...

> 2. a demonstration of pppconfig to show that getting into the net
> is very easy even with Debian :)
>
> 3. DSL is of course a hot topic, unfortunately a demonstration of
> pppoeconf has to remain theoretical...

put this in the install show.

> 4. Of course installation. Letting a user do it is a nice idea but we
> have to try this first. If there are too much problems/questions
> it'll be quite boring for the visitors.

Oh no. Get a debian user/developer (no visitor) and make a nice show.

A non debian guy can't install it without reading some pages. (Debian is
not Knoppix (now)).

Gruss
Grisu

--
Michael Bramer  -  a Debian Linux Developer      http://www.debsupport.de
"How hard can it be, it's just an operating system?"     -- Linus Torvalds