Re: Linuxtag

From: Thimo Neubauer (thimo@debian.org)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 10:28:50 CEST

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 07:48:11AM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 12:53:08AM +0200, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> > > 1.1 What do we want to demonstrate?
> >
> > One Idea: Have one (or more) Systems their and show the Install of
> > Debian. Let the User install Debian and give help, so they can walk
> > through a complete Setup of Debian and if they have Problems they can
> > ask for help. So they can go home with a little knowledge about the
> > Installer.
>
> We can show a debian installation if we get a forum or beamer at the
> booth. Maybe we can show something at the debianday, but imho a show at
> the booth is better.

I'd like to man the booth too and could perhaps offer a portable
beamer from my university (I got it for the 60th birthday of my mother
so LinuxTag should be no problem :)

Maybe we should also show other great and characteristic things, like:

1. show how easy a regular update with apt is (we just have to create
   a slightly old harddisk image so we can show it again). We could
   also show the power of apt-cache search and aptitude

2. a demonstration of pppconfig to show that getting into the net
   is very easy even with Debian :)

3. DSL is of course a hot topic, unfortunately a demonstration of
   pppoeconf has to remain theoretical...

4. Of course installation. Letting a user do it is a nice idea but we
   have to try this first. If there are too much problems/questions
   it'll be quite boring for the visitors.

5. Using gnupg is interesting too, creating keys, uploading them,
   signing, web of trust, ... Let's annoy the secret services ;-)

Thoughts?

I could also offer to talk about Debian on Laptops (set it up so that
variable net location may be used), either as a special demo or by
wearing a button "Ask me about laptops" in the booth :)

By the way: we should talk about who is experienced with what part of
Debian so that we can pass on questions in the booth.

And a last comment: I don't think that cramming as much architectures
as possible into the booth is a good idea, because it looks more like
an internet cafe... We should concentrate on the main archs we expect
to get questions about: <radical> PowerPC is important because may
Apple-Owners would like to use Linux on their machines
(demonstration?), Hurd is very interesting. Maybe add an Alpha and a
UltraSPARC and we're done </> (I don't want to hide the many archs but
we can't show them all with hopefully less Debian people in the
booth...)

Ok, now you can beat on my ideas :)

CU
     Thimo