Re: "professional" debian booths (was: Re: booth planning LinuxTag)

From: Christian Kurz (shorty@debian.org)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 22:48:47 CEST

    On 01-06-20 Joost van Baal wrote:

    > > Which did not mean wearing a suit!

    > > > If I were to appear in a suit to be on a debian booth, I would be
    > > > not as happy to help.

    > > Sure. And that's not my problem. I just don't think cultivating the
    > > hacker image is the correct way. Wearing a suit is neccessary for
    > > some businesses but not for an Open Source project.

    > OK, I spoke about wearing a suit as a worst case scenario example. I
    > didn't mean that literally. Sorry for being unclear. What do you
    > mean by 'looking more professional'? Wearing the same Debian Tshirts
    > maybe?

    Yeah, that would be an idea. Also having a booth, that is not
    overcroweded with staff talking to each other would also help. The booth
    itself was last year in my opinion not very attractive for normal
    visitors. It was mainly attractive for other hackers to technic freaks.

    > I believe the fact that Debian booth people are non-paid volunteers
    > gives less room for things like booth policies. (Which doesn't mean

    But why do wee need a booth policy to make the booth look more
    professional. I think there's no policy needed for this, just a
    compromise between the people who will staff it.

    > we couldn't agree on such a thing, of course.) The fact there
    > generally is less money for a Debian booth than for e.g. a HP booth,
    > also contributes to the difference in appearance.

    Yeah, but does this difference mean that the booth should look like a
    "hacker meeting", with not much space left for visitors? Altough a
    debian booth will always be different from a HP booth, but this doesn't
    necessarily mean that the booth should look a bit "professionel".

    Christian

    --
               Debian Developer (http://www.debian.org)