Re: LinuxTag etc.

From: J.A. Bezemer (costar@panic.et.tudelft.nl)
Date: Sun Apr 01 2001 - 01:26:47 CEST

    On Sat, 31 Mar 2001, Martin Schulze wrote:

    > 2. Type of Debian CD
    >
    > [ ] potato installation
    > [ ] potato installation, with additions like Gnome, KDE, XF4 etc.
    > [ ] woody installation
    > [ ] unstable installation
    > [ ] potato demo system
    > [ ] potato demo system, with additions like Gnome, KDE, XF4 etc.
    > [ ] woody demo system

    Haven't been following the discussion closely, but it seems to me that there's
    no fundamental difference between .debs and a "live" file system -- because a
    live fs needs 1) to be installed with boot-floppies of some kind, 2) .debs to
    be installed upon it. And both 1) and 2) can also be present on the CD in
    original form. So I think it should really be two questions:

       2. Release

          [ ] potato
          [ ] potato with additions "to be determined later"
          [ ] woody
          [ ] sid

       3. CD Type

          [ ] installation
          [ ] live fs ("demo")

    Personally, I'd go for "potato with additions" and "installation" because this
    demonstrates best Debian's ideas of stability, (half-)upgradeability and
    "completeness" (i.e. much software). I'm afraid that if you make a live fs,
    there won't be much space for all the interesting programs that people
    _really_ want to use, and you'll get some throw-away demo thingy that forces
    people to buy the whole CD set if they want to go use Debian on a daily basis.

    Besides, people will need to be able to apt-get install stuff (from the CD) to
    really begin appreciating The Debian Way[tm] ;-)

    Regards,
      Anne Bezemer