[ar@rhwd.net: Re: Vorfuehrungen LinuxTag]

Subject: [ar@rhwd.net: Re: Vorfuehrungen LinuxTag]
From: Alexander Reelsen (ar@rhwd.net)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 15:00:06 CEST

Heya

Hit 'r' instead of 'L'. Shit^H^H^Horry.

----- Forwarded message from Alexander Reelsen <ar@rhwd.net> -----

Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 14:58:53 +0200
From: Alexander Reelsen <ar@rhwd.net>
To: Roland Rosenfeld <roland@spinnaker.de>
Subject: Re: Vorfuehrungen LinuxTag

Hi

On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 11:53:41AM +0200, Roland Rosenfeld wrote:
> Alexander Reelsen schrieb am Dienstag, den 13. Juni 2000:
> > > habt ihr euch mal ueberlegt, was auf dem Stand vorgefuehrt werden
> > > soll? Oder wollt ihr nur 10 Rechner hinstellen und Linux generell
> > > zeigen?
> I thought about bb and was able to build this package on the alpha
> with a small patch, but it doesn't run stable on alpha but segfaults
> after a minute. So bb should run on a different machine (preferably a
> i386).
Ok. We do not have any i386 system right now, except a laptop. I don't
consider running bb on that one :-)...
If the least line quits until beginning of july I possibly could bring up
my personal system, but without monitor and harddisk (has a scsi
controler, though). It's a dual celeron with 224MB RAM.

Here again we stumble across the problem of monitors. The LinuxTag eV
_cant_ provide monitors. Perhaps I can take one with me, but that's it.
Please recheck whether you can bring up a screen. Please mail me private,
whether you live in/near stuttgart and can offer a monitor. I see this as
a real problem right now.

> > Digital AlphaStation 200 4/166 ---> potato from Roland Rosenfeld
> Small addition: I'm not completely sure, whether I will stay for all
> four days in Stuttgart. But maybe we find a way to work this
> around...
Hm. Ok

> > - Roland, is that Alpha the same I saw during the "Braunschweiger
> > Linuxtage"? If it is, I won't ask Andreas Schuldei about it.
> No, I wasn't in Braunschweig, so this wasn't my machine (but maybe a
> similar one). If you need more information about the machine, see
> http://www.spinnaker.de/sailnet/fock.html
I mixed you and Roland Bauerschmidt up. Sorry.

> > First of all, my intent had been to show some debian package
> > managers, which are not natively debian, like sl-stormpkg and the
> > corel tool, along with gnome-apt (if it still exists), dselect, capt
> > and stock dpkg.
> Last year the Hurd PC was a publicity magnet, so it would be great if
> someone with a Hurd PC (and Hurd knowledge!) would be there.
Seems as if Marcus Brinkmann won't come :-(

> > Then, of course, presenting X with lots of free apps (you remember
> > my expression above? ;)) like AbiWord, GIMP, Sawfish, GNOME. For
> > this one a powerful PC with some RAM is needed.
> Don't forget Mozilla. It needs much RAM, but it is a powerful web
> browser, which also runs on non-i386 machines.
Yes.

> > I'm sure I missed a lot of things... be creative. :)
> What about demos of games? For example pingus (but this doesn't seem
> to be in the distribution at the moment)...
You're right. Same as clanbomber...

> The AlphaStation is quite handy, because it's in a small desktop case,
> where the monitor can be placed on top.
That sounds good. Bring it with you and mail me some more data, so I
don't forget it.

MfG/Regards, Alexander

--
Alexander Reelsen   http://joker.rhwd.de