Re: CD label, first draft

Subject: Re: CD label, first draft
From: Frank Neumann (franky@viona.de)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 11:33:58 CEST

Hi,
Peter Ganten wrote:

> What about:
>
> "Start der Installation: Sie können den Rechner von dieser CD booten,
> die Installation von DOS aus starten (Befehl install im Verzeichnis
> /install auf der CDROM ausführen) oder Disketten erzeugen, mit denen
> der Rechner gestartet werden kann. Unter Windows können Sie das
> Autostart-Programm verwenden, um die Installation zu starten.
> Deutschsprachige Dokumentation finden Sie im Verzeichnis
> /install/doc/de auf der CD. Installationsvoraussetzungen: 12MB RAM
> und mindestens 100MB freier Festplattenplatz im unpartitionierten
> Bereich einer Festplatte oder in einer eigenen Partition."
>
> This obviously is a lot more text, but I think it could be printed
> smaller.

This is a bit risky. Because of the technique used for the label
printing ("Siebdruckverfahren"), I was advised not to use too thin lines or
too small text. If I write down the entire text block as seen above, I'll
have to use a smaller font, which might render illegible - and we won't
be able to find that out until the CDs are produced. Of course, the current
text is rather large, and I can easily replace it with a smaller font, but
in bold printing (so the stems don't come out too thin).

What I need now is:
- One or two more opinions on what to do - leave the current text or put in
  something like what Peter suggests;
- information whether the paths Peter gave me above ("/install/doc/de" etc)
  are correct. Especially: What will be the final name of the binary Eduard
  programmed?

> > . Kannst Du eine komplette URL oder nur einen Hostnamen nehmen? Also
> > "http://www.debian.org/" oder "www.debian.org". Danke.
>
> I do not like the line under the URL :-(

Ok, I'll remove it. It was just an idea for a graphic element because the
whole label appeared so text-loaded to me.

Frank