Re: "linuxtag"-cleanup package

Subject: Re: "linuxtag"-cleanup package
From: Othmar Pasteka (pasteka@kabsi.at)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 18:09:02 CEST

hi,

On Mon, May 22, 2000 at 05:33:48PM +0200, Roland Bauerschmidt wrote:
> I just phoned with Joerg Gerbracht from ID-PRO who told me that they
> would like to Netscape in the standard selection with a preconfigured
> start page that explains what Debian and what ID-PRO is and has a
> hyperlink to the corresponding websites.

yes, i also thought of such a think, like a starting point which
points to various other things. the problem i am having is, that
i don't know how we tell the users that they should open netscape
to get the initial page. imho it's not a problem of
implementation but one how we do it.

> . rebuild the package with a .netscape directory in /etc/skel - I don't
> think this is a good solution.
> . make a cleanup package "linuxtag" or something like that that drops a
> .netscape directory in /home/* in postinst. We could do other stuff
> here, too, like adding KDE commented to sources.list or configuring
> the gdm logo. Also this would be less work.

i object to any manipulations in /home/* by installation scripts.
/etc/skel is better than. i would flame people who think they can
alter _my_ $HOME via scripts.
another hack could be, that we alter the netscape wrapper script,
that we test if ~/.netscape exists. if so, the usual netscape is
started, otherwise with our custom startup page. and we could
make a /etc/skel/.netscape with our custom page as the default page
to load.

what's about this one?

so long
Othmar